Tim O’Reilly starts an interesting, if tech-heavy, discussion in Ten Things I Want From My Phone.
In January I’ll be looking for my eighth phone in 11 years, in which time I’ve only owned three PCs (discounting upgrades) and have become a little sick of the rigmarole of installations and buying extra kit.
- Universal connectors and power supplies
- Talk to my PC without software/driver installation – perhaps a web interface like my router
- No non-standard file formats
- Zero-effort backup and transfer to new phone
- Transparent contracts
- Device and operator neutrality
- Wireless sync at home / work
- To be my control centre on the move
- Seamless (and secure) connection to other devices
- Phone must know when I’m looking for it and should alert me to where it is!